Wednesday, December 21, 2011

You Know the Old Saying

"Don't pray for patience, or God will give you trials."?  Well, I haven't been praying for patience-- willpower,yes, patience, no-- but evidently I was up for a review today anyway.  Mostly a thousand small things, the bigger girls wreaking havoc at the Health Unit, who were running late as usual, Wal-Mart, grumpy girls, the small cough that woke Isa from her nap when I was ALMOST asleep too, etc.
And now I am avoiding the ultimate practice in patience: the matching and folding of the socks.  For anyone who doesn't know, I have stair-step girls in the house 0, 1, and 2 years old, and their socks are remarkably similar, as you can imagine.  In fact soon, or now, if I had been shopping, Isabel will catch up with Esme and their sock sizes will be the same.
Looking at the pile of pastel elasticized cotton, I am reminded of the Japanese brides who must fold a thousand origami cranes before they can marry as a preparation in  patience for putting up with their husbands.  Though I am neither Japanese nor a bride, and those ladies must only do this once in life and the laundry will come around again next week as surely as the sun rises in the morning, I am still grateful for this family--even though I would prefer not to need so much patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment